Soy - Daniel Regueira

General Assembly - Online UX Design Course

UX Design Course

Coursework through General Assembly's Online Course


UX design course project

I took a 6 week intensive UX Design course through General Assembly, in which I've built out a personal project on the theme of making travel easier. The specific idea I chose to pursue was to make travel to Cuba easier for American citizens. Below I've broken down my projects into its constituent parts within the UX process itself.

(click the images to see more)


1. Discovery and Research

The first step in the process was to come up with a research plan and a discussion guide for my user interviews that I was going to perform. These interviews were to glean any info in the process of traveling to Cuba.

With this research plan and discussion guide read I held some interviews over voice chat with 5 people (in both English and Spanish). The audio track to one in English (Nicolai) and one in Spanish (Janette) are below.

After the interviews it was time to listen through each several times and note down anything that seemed like a focus-point of their travel experience. In addition to these notes I did a Feature Inventory of competitors to get any insights from what they do (or don't) offer.


2. Research Synthesis and Strategy

The second step in the UX process was to take all of the information from the interviews to glean insights. After taking all of the ideas or experiences that my interviewees expressed that sounded important or interesting, I created an Affinity Map. After creating this Affinity Map, I used this information to create a caricature of a target user, or a Persona.

After this I created a super simple Storyboard to sketch out the procces of what Christine, our Persona, would do to try to find her way to Cuba. In addition to this storyboard I drew a simple User Flow to hash out what the step-by-step process of going through this web app might look like.  

Next I created a Problem Statement for our Persona as well as several "How might we?" questions to address how we may solve the target users' problem. Using that Problem Statement and HMW's I hashed out many features that we could possibly have to solve the users problems. Since these solutions could be very grandiose this is my Project Feature Dream List.

I then took these features, put them on post its, and made a two-by-two matrix. On the top (Y-Axis) of this matrix was "High Impact" and at the far left was "Expected" (meaning users would expect to have this feature). This would give me the most important features in quadrant 1 (top left).

Finally, I wrote up a reflection about these features as well as a project proposal.


3. Placement/Layout Design

Next I had to take these features and sort the features and content out. First I made a simple paper Screen Flow as a paper prototype of how to structure the content of the experience. Using this paper prototype with some users I was able to cut out some confusion and simplify the Screen Flow.

To help with grouping content and features together properly I did a few quick Open Card Sorts. In this exercise I took features/content and put them on pink post-it notes and then gave participants purple post it notes to write the category/grouping onto so that they could organize the pink post-its themselves.

After these exercises I was able to quickly sketch up a Site Map as well as key takeaways that I noticed throughout the process


4. Execution

As a designer, this was the part I'm most familiar with. This is where I took the sketches that you'll see below and turned them into a prototype design using Bohemian Sketch.

After sketching out the screens I wanted in my prototype I set off to Bohemian Sketch to make Med-Fi mockups with annotations.

Finally, I designed the Hi-Fi screens in Sketch and settled on the name "Fly Cuba" for this project.